The Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) on Tuesday announced it issued $301,725 in stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for air pollution violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the third quarter of 2022.
The fine was calculated pursuant to ACHD's 2019 settlement agreement with the Mon Valley steelmaker.
Per that agreement, 90% of penalties ($271,552.50) will be paid to the Community Benefit Trust for impacted communities while the remaining 10% ($30,172.50) will be paid to the Clean Air Fund. In March 2023, ACHD issued $307,800 in stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the second quarter of 2022. To view this enforcement action and other air quality enforcement actions issued by ACHD, click here.
Editor's Note: GASP staff is currently reviewing the enforcement action and will keep you posted. In the meantime, you can read the 30-page document for yourself here.