BREAKING: ACHD Slaps U.S. Steel with $307K Fine for Air Quality Violations From 2nd Quarter of '22
The Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) issued $307,800 in stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for air quality violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the second quarter of 2022.
The fines were calculated in accordance with the 2019 Settlement Agreement and Order between the department and U.S. Steel.
Pursuant to that agreement, 90 percent of penalties ($277,020) will be paid to the Community Benefit Trust for impacted communities while the remaining 10 percent ($30,780) will be paid to the Clean Air Fund.
In December 2022, ACHD issued $458,225 in stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the first quarter of 2022.
Editor's Note: GASP staff is reviewing the enforcement action, which you can read for yourself here.