top of page

Allegheny Co. Health Dept. Announces Stipulated Penalties Against U.S. Steel for 1st Quarter of 2022

The Allegheny County Health Department announced Friday that it has issued $458,225 in stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for Article 21 Air Pollution Control violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the first quarter of 2022.


Here’s what the department said in a press release:

Pursuant to the Department’s agreement reached with U.S. Steel in June of 2019, 90 percent of penalties ($412,402.50) will be paid to the Community Benefit Trust for impacted communities while the remaining 10 percent ($45,822.50) will be paid to the Clean Air Fund.

In March 2022, ACHD issued $859,300 in stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the last three quarters of 2021.

To view this enforcement action and other air quality enforcement actions issued by ACHD, click here.


Editor’s Note: GASP staff is reviewing the enforcement action and will update this blog with more information and media links. Until then, you can read more about the mentioned 2019 settlement agreement here. You can learn more about the mentioned Community Benefit Trust here.



178 views0 comments
bottom of page