Allegheny County Health Department Issues $859K in Stipulated Penalties Against U.S. Steel

Updated: Sep 9

Allegheny County Health Department issued the following as a press release Thursday afternoon. GASP staff is currently reviewing the documents. Check back – this blog will be updated.


The Allegheny County Health Department issued $859,300 worth of stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for Article XXI Air Pollution Control violations and permit violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the second, third and fourth quarters of 2021.


Pursuant to the Department’s agreement that was reached with U.S. Steel in June of 2019, ninety percent (90%) of penalties ($773,370) will be paid to the Community Benefit Trust for impacted communities while the remaining 10% ($85,930) will be paid to the Clean Air Fund.

In June 2021, ACHD issued $201,500 worth of stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the first quarter of 2021 through March 31, 2021.


To view this enforcement action and other air quality enforcement actions issued by ACHD, click here.



0 views0 comments