UPDATED: Allegheny County Health Department Announces Penalties Against U.S. Steel
Updated: Sep 12, 2022
The Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) on Wednesday issued a press release regarding a demand for stipulated penalties it issued on June 4 against U.S. Steel in the amount of $201,500. You can read the enforcement action here.
Check back, we will update this blog with reactions and links to associated news stories.
The Allegheny County Health Department issued $201,500 worth of stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for Article XXI Air Pollution Control violations and permit violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the first quarter of 2021 and through March 31, 2021.
Pursuant to the Department’s agreement that was reached with U.S. Steel in June of 2019, ninety percent (90 percent) of penalties ($181,350) will be paid to the Community Benefit Trust for impacted communities while the remaining 10 percent ($20,150) will be paid to the Clean Air Fund.
To view this enforcement action and other air quality enforcement actions issued by ACHD, click here.
# # #
“Here we go again,” GASP Executive Director Rachel Filippini said. “Despite U.S. Steel’s repeated bragging about what it sees as an outstanding environmental record, the company still gets dinged for air quality violations quarter after quarter.”
She added: “Few who breathe Mon Valley air will be surprised to hear U.S. Steel was fined for emissions issues at its facilities.”
#USSteel #AlleghenyCountyHealthDeparment #emissions #demandforstipulatedpenalties #ACHD #airquality