top of page

Allegheny Co. Health Dept. Announces $361K in Fines Against U.S. Steel's Clairton Coke Works

Updated: Sep 14, 2022

The Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) in a press release Thursday announced that it has issued $361,400 worth of stipulated penalties against U.S. Steel for Article XXI Air Pollution Control violations and permit violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020.

Pursuant to the Department’s agreement that was reached with U.S. Steel in June of 2019, ninety percent (90 percent) of penalties ($325,260) will be paid to the Community Benefit Trust for impacted communities while the remaining 10 percent ($36,140) will be paid to the Clean Air Fund.

Here’s a breakdown of the stipulated penalties:

  1. $109,250 for soaking violations

  2. $67,250 for pushing violations

  3. $55,500 for door-related violations

  4. $43,000 for travel violations

  5. $30,250 for charging violations

  6. $22,750 for lid violations

  7. $21,400 for Continuous Opacity Monitor System (COMS) violations

  8. $12,000 for offtake violations

To view the May 28 enforcement action and other air quality enforcement actions issued by ACHD, click here.

Editor’s Note: GASP staff is reviewing the enforcement action – please check back, this story will be updated with more information and links to associated media links.

  1. “Allegheny Co. Health Department Announces Fines Against U.S. Steel for Violations at Clairton Coke Works” published by WTAE-TV

  2. “Allegheny County Health Department Issues Penalties to U.S. Steel,” published by the Pittsburgh Business Times

  3. “Allegheny Co. Health Dept. Fines US Steel More Than $361K for Violations at Clairton Coke Works” published by KDKA

  4. “U.S. Steel Fine of $361,000 for Air Pollution Violations Will Go to Five Communities and the Clean Air Fund,” published by NEXTPittsburgh

  5. County Fines U.S. Steel More Than $360K for Violations at Clairton Plant,” published by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

  6. “Allegheny County Health Department Issues $361K Fine Against U.S. Steel,” published by Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

#USSteel #soakingviolations #chargingviolations #pushingviolations #stipulatedpenalties #emissions #ACHD #ClairtonCokeWorks

bottom of page